Well it looks like everyone’s favorite bad boy of the Middle East, Iran, is giving the ole’ Middle Finger to the UN and sanctions with regard to developing nuclear capability.
Iran vowed on Tuesday to press ahead with plans to sharply increase its capacity to enrich uranium, defying international pressure to halt activities the West fears are aimed at making nuclear bombs.
Eight days after Iran announced it was capable of industrial-scale enrichment, its top nuclear official said United Nations sanctions would not stop work to install more centrifuges in the main Natanz uranium enrichment plant.
You mean the “threat” of UN sanctions didn’t work? I’m shocked.
Gholamreza Aghazadeh, the head of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organization, suggested it could take between two and four years to reach the goal of 50,000 centrifuges there, depending on the situation at home and abroad.
Iran has previously said it aims to build 54,000 centrifuges, which spin at high speeds to produce fuel for power plants or, if uranium is enriched further, bombs.
So, a two to four year window of opportunity. Hey, at least they’re giving us a timetable!
Aghazadeh called for “serious negotiations” on the nuclear issue and warned that Security Council members would also pay a price if they introduced any further sanctions against Iran, without elaborating.
“Therefore from now on both sides will pay,” he said.
Now, this is interesting. Is it bluster or is it a real threat that Iran will start being actively involved in plots against UN nations, or will they just not sell their oil anymore. Maybe I’m blind, but I just love it when these heads of agencies threaten the rest of the world. Maybe the West should take the bait, and move a bit more forcefully than sanctions with more sanctions to come. In any case, the window that Iran is stating is two to four years. Something tells me that there may be something off with that number.